The Mother of the Church in CincinnatiJanuary 10th, 2017
Today’s blog was written by Mary Hennessey, volunteer in the Archives of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. How does the Methodist daughter of an early settler and politician from Ohio become the “Mother of the Church of Cincinnati?” A shining example of the “Feminine Genius” referenced by Pope John Paul II in his Letter to Women is Sarah Worthington King Peter – a 19th century philanthropist from Cincinnati. Sarah was born in 1800 in Chillicothe, Ohio at Adena Mansion. Her father, Thomas Worthington, is known as the “Father of Ohio Statehood” and was one of the …Read More.
Christmas Card, 1880December 20th, 2016
This Christmas card comes from the Junior Class at St. Xavier College, 1880. Inside is a program for the annual Christmas production, listing the overture and sets for “The Christmas Tree,” “The Shepherd’s Vision,” and the main feature”King Christmas.” The music for the play was composed by Prof. H. Gerold.Read More.
St. Patrick Church, TroyDecember 7th, 2016
A new church for St. Patrick Church, Troy, was dedicated on November 30, Thanksgiving Day, 1916. Earlier that year, the cornerstone for the church was laid on May 28. Pictured at the cornerstone laying ceremony, Rev. John Feldman, Dean of the Cincinnati district (deanery) blesses the stone. Rev. Frederic H. Bene stands just right of center looking on. Rev. Feldman was pastor of St. Patrick 1880-1884 and Rev. Bene was pastor 1884-1892. Founded in 1857, the pastor at the time of the dedication was Rev. Anthony Mentink, who was pastor from 1906-1958. The parish will …Read More.
Fr. Francis LasanceNovember 17th, 2016
Fr. Francis Lasance, born in Cincinnati on January 24, 1860, was ordained a priest of the Archdiocese on May 24, 1883. In the first few years of his priesthood, he was assigned to Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Reading; Emmanuel Church, Dayton; and then briefly in Lebanon and Monroe, building the church in Monroe, which at that time was considered mission territory. Unfortunately, Fr. Lasance was plagued with poor health and had to give up parish work in 1890, only seven years after ordination. His life and ministry as a priest would end up taking …Read More.
Take Me Out to the BallgameNovember 3rd, 2016
In honor of the Cubs’ World Series win last night, here is a school team photo from the 1907 St. Mark baseball team, taken just one year before the previous Cubs win in 1908. St. Mark, Evanston, was established in 1905 and closed in 2010. From the beginning and until the end, the parish was ministered by priests from the Society of the Precious Blood. Laboring on the Mission is a blog of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati Archives. The title is taken from a letter written by Bishop Edward Fenwick, OP, describing his …Read More.
Minor Patrons of the ArchdioceseOctober 27th, 2016
St. Francis de Sales (1567-1622) is the official patron of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. Did you know that we also have two minor patrons? They are St. Albert the Great (c. 1200–1280) and St. Robert Bellarmine (1542-1621). Below is a letter written by Abp. John T. McNicholas on 4 July 1938 announcing our two new minor patrons and the reason for their selection. Mentioned in the letter, the Institutum Divi Thomae was a school of scientific research founded by the Archbishop in 1935 to promote scientific research and show that science and religion are not opposed …Read More.
A Home for Unmarried BusinesswomenOctober 13th, 2016
The third building for the Fontbonne (formerly called Sacred Heart Home), opened in 1962. Operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph, it was a home for unmarried businesswomen in Cincinnati. Located at Broadway and Fifth Street, not only did the Fontbonne provide housing, but it also hosted socials and meetings, such as the Philatelic Society of Cincinnati (coins and stamps), art classes, swim parties, and Mass in the Holy Family Chapel. Because it was operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph who took an interest in the well-being of the residents, the Fontbonne lead to …Read More.
Mission for Deaf MutesSeptember 29th, 2016
The Catholic Telegraph, 22 September 1921 “A one-week mission for adult deaf mutes was opened last Sunday, at St. Louis Church [8th and Walnut, Cincinnati], and is being conducted by Rev. Eugene J. Gehl, of St. John Institute for Deaf Mutes, St. Francis, Wis. Services are to be held daily at 7:45 pm and are well attended. Next Sunday, during the high Mass at 8:30am, those attending the mission will receive Holy Communion in a body.” The Catholic Telegraph, 29 September 1921 “The mission for the adult deaf mutes was concluded at St. Louis Church, …Read More.
National Dear Diary DaySeptember 22nd, 2016
“Dear Diary Day” isn’t exactly a well known holiday, celebrated, or even known without a google search of “odd holidays.” But, celebrated today, September 22, this gives us a chance to highlight two diaries in the Archives, and both belonging to two good friends. The first diary belongs to Bp. John B. Purcell. Born in County Cork, Ireland in 1800 and ordained in 1826 in Paris, Rev. Purcell was a teacher and then later the president of Mount St. Mary Seminary, Emmitsburg, Md. His appointment as the second bishop of Cincinnati brought him out west …Read More.
Our Mother of Sorrows, RoselawnSeptember 14th, 2016
September 15th is the memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows. Simeon predicted that a sword would pierce Mary’s heart (Luke 2:35) and the Church honors her seven sorrows. There have been two churches with this title in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, one in Monroe and the other in Roselawn, pictured above, which closed in 2009. Take from The Catholic Telegraph issue dated 28 September 1967, the caption reads, “Archbishop Karl J. Alter addresses parishioners at the newly renovated Our Mother of Sorrows Church, Cincinnati [Roselawn]. The school cafeteria was converted into a church to accommodate …Read More.