The Salesian Guild of Catholic Communicators of Greater Cincinnati offers Catholic communicators in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky a spiritual connection to each and their Creator through fellowship, shared faith, and dialogue across this community.
The Guild is a unique organization: It has no dues, no officers, and only one meeting a year. And it has been going strong since 1944.
Named for St. Francis de Sales, the patron saint of writers and a patron of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, the Guild brings together Catholic communicators of Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky to pray, socialize and learn together.
Attendance is open to anyone, but participants most often are Catholics working in:
- Catholic media (newspapers, magazines, radio)
- Secular media
- Church-related public relations (including hospitals)
- Secular public relations
- Diocesan and parish offices
Speakers have included:
- 2016 – Mark Friedman, composer of musicals
- 2015 – Brother Mickey McGrath, nationally known artist on religious themes
- 2014 – John Thavis, former Vatican correspondent for Catholic News Service
- 2013 – Robert Flischel, photographer and creator of the book Messages of Glory
- 2012 – Sr. Rose Pacatte, movie reviewer
- 2009 – Morgan Atkinson, creator of the documentary film “Soul Searching,” about Thomas Merton
- 2008 – Pat Gentile, national programming manager for Procter & Gamble and co-chair of Family Friendly Programming Forum
- 2007 – Anas Malik, Xavier’s political science department
- 2006 – James Nolan, expert on workplace ethics from Catholic perspective
- 2005 – Terry Mattingly, syndicated religion columnist
- 2004 – Rachelle Rowe, special programs coordinator, “St. Peter and the Vatican: The Legacy of the Popes”
- 2003 – Martin Doblmeier, president and founder of Journey Films
- 2002 – Susan Candiotti, CNN reporter
- 2001 – Rev. Bob Bonnot, vice president for religious affairs, the Odyssey Network
- 2000 – Margaret Drain, executive producer of “The American Experience.”
- 1999 – Cardinal Avery Dulles, S.J., theologian.
As an attorney working in the field of Media and Advertising Law, I spend most of my time working with secular organizations. It is inspiring, as well as congenial, to spend time with those who share my faith and values, and have made a career of spreading the Good News via media of all types. — Susan Grogan Faller, Frost Brown Todd LLC
A highlight of each Salesian Guild meeting is the presentation of the Guild’s Distinguished Communicator Award.
The award goes to a Catholic communicator who exemplifies the best in communication skills, whose work touches people in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, and who brings religious values to life in her or his work.
Past winners have included:
- 1994 – Dan Kane
- 1995 – Harriet Janszen
- 1996 – Norman Perry, O.F.M.
- 1997 – Charles Carey
- 1998 – Elizabeth Bookser Barkley
- 1999 – Dan Hurley
- 2000 – Scott Barkley
- 2001 – John Kiesewetter
- 2002 – Jeremy Harrington, O.F.M.
- 2003 – Dan Andriacco
- 2004 – Sr. Angela Ann Zukowski, MHSH
- 2005 – Michael Flannery
- 2006 – Melvin Grier
- 2007 – Patricia A. Frey
- 2008 – Brian Patrick
- 2009 – Rev. Greg Friedman, O.F.M.
- 2010 – Judy Ball
- 2011 – Most Rev. Daniel E. Pilarczyk
- 2012 – Nick Clooney
- 2013 – Mark Curnutte
- 2014 – Tom Sparough
- 2015 – Rev. Robert Hater
- 2016 – Maryanne Zeleznik
- 2017 – Michael D. Pitman
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Bishop Carl K. Moeddel
LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Sign me up!
To include your name on the Salesian Guild mailing list, fill out the form below. Mailings are infrequent. You will be notified of annual meetings and occasional events of interest to Catholic Communicators in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Ohio, and the Diocese of Covington, Ky. (If you do not live in this area, the mailings will not be of interest to you.)