The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is seeking a full-time Chief Finance Officer (CFO), whose purpose is to serve as the general business manager for the oversight of all financial, accounting, investment management and DSL operations (lending and borrowing), real estate, contracted benefits, and risk management activities of the Archdiocese. The CFO’s responsibilities include financial and operational management, ongoing strategic financial planning and forecasting, and Finance Secretariat leadership and employee management. The CFO will be expected to represent the archdiocese to financial partners and financial institutions, benefactors, foundation executives, auditors and public officials etc.
Suitable candidates must be an active Catholic in full communion with the Catholic Church, a visionary leader and energetic advocate for the ministry of church, and a faithful disciple of Catholic philosophy, values, and social justice teachings.
The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston serves the spiritual needs of approximately 1.7 million Catholics who worship in over fourteen languages in 153 parishes, making it the largest in the state of Texas. The archdiocese, located in the southeastern area of Texas, encompasses 8,880 square miles in ten counties: Galveston, Harris, Austin, Brazoria, Fort Bend, Grimes, Montgomery, San Jacinto, Walker and Waller. It is the home of the largest private school system in the State of Texas and its educational outreach spans a growing family of 49 Elementary-Middle Schools and 10 High Schools, with about 19,500 students enrolled.
Experience and Education
Ten to fifteen years of experience as a CFO or equivalent with a budget of at least $100 million. At least five years in a large, complex organization, preferably the Catholic Church, to include partnering with other senior staff, working with consultative bodies, supervision, accounting, investing, borrowing, and business law. Experience in properties, employee benefits, risk management, insurance, computer systems, investment management and DSL operations (lending and borrowing), and information technology.
Bachelor’s degree in a business related field; advanced degree in business administration, finance, or accounting preferred. Licenses/Certifications: CPA required.
Skills and Knowledge
• Advanced knowledge of budgeting principles and practices, accounting principles, investment, and financial reporting methodologies.
• Thorough knowledge of the civil and canonical laws, accounting standards and principles, and administrative structures governing the Catholic Church.
• Knowledge of the management, sale, and leasing of buildings/property.
• Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated administrative and supervisory skills to work in a senior management position.
• Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills.
• Possesses a high degree of flexibility in order to achieve objectives and meet demands.
• Exhibits excellent written, verbal and public speaking skills.
• Exhibits excellent strategic planning and organizational skills.
• Has proficiency with information technology, including knowledge of database and accounting computer applications to supply the most accurate information.
Please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with Chief Finance Officer on the subject line.