African American Catholic Ministries Contact:
Rev. Mr. Royce Winters
100 East Eighth Street
Holy Name Church
HISTORY OF HOLY NAME CHURCH
Holy Name parish originated in 1904 when parishioners of St. Xavier and St. George parishes were instructed by archdiocesan officials to found a new parish to better accommodate those Catholics who resided in Cincinnati’s oldest suburb, Mt. Auburn. The site chosen was the old Zimmerman residence, built in 1859.
The new parish grew so rapidly that within two years after it had been established, plans were drawn for a church-school combination building. The school opened in 1907, but by the 1960’s it was necessary to close the school and move the students to St. George School, now knows as Corryville Catholic School.
The present Holy Name Church was built and consecrated in 1951. It was staffed by priests of the Archdiocese until 1968 when priests of the Society of the Precious Blood came and ministered in the parish. 1990 was a critical year. The Precious Blood fathers could no longer serve the parish and the archdiocese would not be able to provide a full time pastor.
Parishioners requested to continue as a canonical parish with a full time lay pastoral administrator and a part-time priest pastor to serve as parish leaders. The plan became a reality when in 1990 when Sr. Elizabeth Bowyer, SNDdeN, became the pastoral administrator and Father Terence Meehan the pastor, along with his assignment as pastor of St. Andrew and full time chaplain of Hamilton County Justice Center.
In 2000, Sr. Elizabeth Bowyer was elected to leadership in her congregation and Sr. Mary Gallagher, SC took her place. Holy Name learned that once Fr. Terry was reassigned there would be no priest available to serve the parish. The Franciscan Community was approached in 2002 and asked about the possibility of the pastor of St. Monica/St. George also serving as Holy Name’s pastor with the continued service of a pastoral administrator. The Archdiocese and the Franciscan Friars agreed to the “partnering” plan and it went into effect in 2002 when Fr. Terry Meehan was transferred to another parish.
Today, Holy Name Parish continues to witness to the goodness of God, giving hospitality and support to those in need of compassion and healing.