Catholic Social Action
100 East 8th Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Phone: (513) 421-3131 ext. 2660
Fax: (513) 421-1582
Catholic Social Action
1436 Needmore Road
Dayton, OH 45414
Phone: (937) 224-3026
Fax: (937) 341-5036
Sign up for our action alerts and email communications!
Greater Cincinnati Area Action Alerts: email@example.com
Greater Dayton and Northern Areas Social Justice Updates: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Francis Pledge Update (e-newsletter for Care for Creation information and updates): email@example.com
Catholic Relief Services
CRS is the official international relief and development agency of the U.S. Catholic community. Working through local offices and an extensive network of partners, CRS operates 91 countries. Learn more
CRS Helps at Home
Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowls will be helping more local organizations alleviate poverty and hunger in communities across the Archdiocese as part of a pilot program initiated in the Archdiocese this year.
Rice Bowl is a Lenten faith formation program that encourages Catholics in prayer, fasting and almsgiving and adds a fourth dimension of learning about CRS’ work of helping families living around the world. Seventy-five percent of the money collected in the cardboard rice bowls is sent to Catholic Relief Services for its humanitarian work around the globe. The remaining 25 percent stays in the Archdiocese of Cincinnati to be distributed to local agencies that alleviate poverty and hunger.
The Catholic Social Action Office of the Archdiocese has initiated a pilot project for parish representatives associated with Rice Bowl and CRS to suggest organizations who work to relieve poverty and hunger in neighborhoods and communities across the Archdiocese.
Meetings held on a deanery level also give parish promoters ideas and resources to use in promoting CRS Rice Bowl.
Several deanery meetings have already occurred in St. Lawrence, St. Andrew, St. Francis, Dayton, St. Marys, Sidney and the Hamilton Deaneries, and plans are underway to reach out to parish representatives in other deaneries who promote the work and resources of Catholic Relief Services and the Catholic Campaign for Human Development. For more information about CRS Rice Bowl and the deanery meetings, contact Pam Long at the Catholic Social Action office (937) 224-3026 or Dave Scharfenberger (513) 421-3131, ext. 2611.
For more details on local agencies selected visit our CRS Rice Bowl Page
A Powerful Way to Serve the Poor
CRS Rice Bowl provides a powerful, tangible way for us to answer Jesus’ call to serve the world’s poor. It encourages us to pray together daily and experience Lent as a time of spiritual renewal and sacrifice for those in need.
A Program for Families
- FOCUS your family’s Lenten journey by using your Rice Bowl as a centerpiece at your table
- PRAY as a family using the Stations of the Cross, Seven Sorrows of Mary, or the Lives of the Saints resources
- SHARE a simple, meatless meal every Friday of Lent with recipes from this year’s featured countries, and learn how to make them by watching CRS Global Kitchen videos
- GIVE to the poor and vulnerable around the world and in your own diocese using the daily reflections and suggested giving amounts on the Lenten Calendar
A Program for Parishes
- CELEBRATE the beginning and end of Lent in your liturgies with the Blessing of the CRS Rice Bowls and Offertory Collection resources
- INCOPORATE CRS Rice Bowl prayer intentions and bulletin announcements into your weekly masses
- ENGAGE parish ministries with resources designed for youth, small faith-sharing groups, and whole community catechesis
A Program for Schools
- ILLUSTRATE the importance of Catholic social teaching, even in the busiest of classrooms, with Lesson Plans designed for grades 1-12
- DISCOVER how much you know about the Catholic faith with the Catholicism and the World Quiz and the Lives of the Saints resources
- CENTER your Lenten experience in the liturgy with a 10-minute Blessing of the Rice Bowls and End of Lent Prayer Service specifically designed for students.
A Program for Everyone
- DOWNLOAD the CRS Rice Bowl mobile app to get daily reflections sent to your phone and to track your Lenten sacrifices
- COME TOGETHER as a young adult faith-sharing group with the Community Reflections resource, a joint initiative of CRS Rice Bowl and CRS University