100 East Eighth St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
(513) 421-3131 voice
(513) 421-1582 fax
Dan Thimons x 2621
Sharon Christy, Marriage Prep. x 2623
Teresa Kaltenbach, Admin. Asst. x 2653
1436 Needmore Rd.
Dayton OH 45414
(937) 222-0227 voice
(937) 279-9482 fax
Support and Celebrate Marriage
Nurturing Marriage is always a worthwhile endeavor, but this is especially the case in a culture that is too often neglectful, or even hostile to the supreme value of marriage. Here is a list of ways that you can assist the vocation marriage in our society.
- Develop and sustain your own healthy marriage.
- Educate yourself on the Sacrament of Marriage and the Theology of the Body.
- Participate in advocacy initiatives that nurture and defend marriage.
- Provide opportunities for marriage enrichment and education in your local community.
- Pray and fast in support of marriage.
Develop and sustain your own healthy marriage
- The 5 Love Languages Test–Understanding each other’s legitimate needs and desires is essential. Learn how to make your spouse feel loved in the ways they best understand love.–PDF Version for Wives–PDF Version for Husbands–from 5lovelanguages.com
- Marriage Links-Here’s an opportunity for free breakfast, lunch, dinner, babysitting, $50 in gift cards! All for spending the day in conversation with your spouse.
- Marriage Counseling–It takes courage and strength of character for couples to admit that they need the assistance and support of professional marriage counselors. Contact our office to inquire about a marriage links class near you. Contact Catholic Social Services or Catholic Charities to inquire about marriage counseling services. Cincinnati; Dayton; North. You can also contact the Family and Respect Life Office for referral services.
- Foryourmarriage.org–For great articles, videos, and insights to keep your marriage vibrant and healthy, visit this site everyday!
Educate yourself on the Sacrament of Marriage and the Theology of the Body
- Ruah Woods– provides inspiring classes and retreats for married and engaged couples, parents, and teens, in order to educate them on the richness of authentic married life.
- MarriageUniqueForAReason.org– This site contains a remarkable collection of information explaining in both theological and sociological terms why marriage between one man and one woman is so essential for the well-being of society.
- Made For Life– a short film that shares the insights of couples proclaiming and committing to live an authentic vision for married love.
Participate in Advocacy Initiatives that nurture and defend Marriage
- Contact Congress–Ask you Congressional Representatives to support marriage between One Woman and One Man. You can utilize the USCCB Portal to identify your Congressman and Representatives. You can either email them or send a letter. Before you send in any statement, we strongly encourage you to review the guidelines as well.
- Get Action Alerts–Keep yourself and up to date regarding lobbying for all initiatives that support marriage and family life (eg. tax credits, funding for marriage counseling, etc.). Sign up to receive Action Alerts from the Catholic Bishops whenever your contacting a representative will be especially beneficial.
- Stay Educated–You can also keep yourself informed on all state-level lobbying initiatives that effect families through the Ohio Catholic Conference. Find further information in the “Family and Marriage” section of the “Issues” subheading.
Provide opportunities for marriage enrichment and education in your local community.
- Consultations– We know that no two situations are exactly the same. That’s why we have established a consultation process to work alongside you to develop the specific plan the best addresses your strengths and needs.
- Marriage Enrichment Teams–by building a marriage enrichment team, you benefit from the creativity and diversity of multiple skilled personalities working together for advocacy, education, and enrichment. Since all this happens at the local level, it can be especially tailored to take into account local cultural considersations a well.
- Bring in a Marriage Speaker–Whether a national or a local speaker, this is a highly effective way to stir public interest in the importance of healthy marriages.
- Group Studies and Forums— These opportunities enable people to work together in coming to a better understanding of the importance of the issues.
For assistance with any of these approaches, please contact the Family and Respect Life Office.
Pray and fast in support of marriage
- Call to Prayer– One page handout exploring the necessity and value of praying for Marriage, Life, and Religious Liberty
- Pray Without Ceasing– A printable prayer for the promotion and protection of marriage under the patronage of Sts. Anna and Joachim, the parents of Mary the mother of Jesus.
- Join the Movement– Enjoy this moving ninety-second video on the Call to Prayer and share it with others. You can follow the link or view it below.