100 East Eighth St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
1520 South Main Street
Dayton, OH 45409
(937) 281-4128 voice
Pain-Capable Protection Act
UPDATE, DUE FOR A VOTE ON MONDAY JANUARY 29!
We are delivering over 3,000 letters to our Senator’s local offices on Friday, January 26. THANK YOU FOR DOING SO MUCH SO QUICKLY!
Since the vote is Monday, please encourage everyone to go to www.humanlifeaction.org and click on the Action Center, Action Alerts, and ENCOURAGE SENATORS TO ENACT PRO-LIFE LEGISLATION.
For more information on the letter writing campaign, please read more below:
The Archdiocese of Cincinnati Office for Respect Life Ministries is joining with the Catholic Social Action Office on a campaign to generate as many letters as we can to our state senators, urging them to support the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, which bans late-term abortions after 20 weeks on the basis that the fetus is capable of feeling pain during abortion at that point of pregnancy. This bill passed the House of Representatives in October of 2017 and is currently pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee under bill number S.1922.
In recent years, we have conducted two other popular Archdiocesan-wide letter-writing campaigns, one on nutrition programs for the poor and another on legal residency for young migrants. Encouraged by your support, we will continue to advocate for the life and dignity of the poor and vulnerable everywhere, including the unborn.
The Office for Respect Life Ministries and Catholic Social Action already collected more than 2,500 letters in the first phase, which ended in time for the March for Life in Washington, DC on January 19, 2018. Our second phase will end on March 19, the Feast of St. Joseph (patron saint of families, pregnant women and the dying). All letters collected by then will be delivered to our Senator’s local offices by Holy Week.
The U.S. Catholic Bishops support this bill, and Archbishop Schnurr recently released this statement concerning his support of the bill:
The Church stands with the unborn, their mothers and the majority of Americans in our abhorrence of late-term abortions. The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act is a wonderful opportunity to protect the lives of unborn children who, according to medical evidence, can feel and respond to pain. It also protects their mothers who could become victims of risky procedures associated with abortions performed after 20 weeks. I ask all Catholics to join me in support of this legislation by contacting your legislators to pass this common-sense law.
- The Archdiocese is encouraging Catholic parishes, schools and institutions as well as other faith-based and community partners to host letter-writing campaigns. Letters can be handwritten, or use our templates below. (Yes, teens not old enough to vote are still constituents and may write letters! )
Pain Capable Letter Sen Portman
Pain Capable Letter Sen Brown
- The Archdiocesan Office for Respect Life Ministries would like to be notified of any campaigns being organized and expected tallies: email@example.com.
- Information about the status of this act can be found at https://www.humanlifeaction.org/.
- Letters should be collected by the host organization. If the host wishes to mail or deliver the letters directly to local Congressional offices, then it should record and report the number of letters sent to the Respect Life Office, so we can keep a tally. If the host organization would prefer, it can send all letters to the Respect Life Office (100 East 8th Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202, ATTN: Pain-Capable Act) with a tally of how many are in your package. Letters received by January 16 will be taken on the March for Life trip and hand delivered to Washington, DC offices. Letters received later will be delivered to our senators’ local offices at a later date.
- Click here for the updated full-page printout of these instructions to pass out or put in your bulletins.
- Click here for a sample bulletin-announcement (you will need to edit for your purposes).