100 E. Eighth St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202-2193
Phone: (513) 421-3131 ext. 2741
Fax: (513) 421-1582
Legal and Liability
Frequently Asked Questions on Legal & Liability Issues
Click to view the Decree on Child Protection
* Check out our new resource for parents: How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse
Who needs to be oriented to the Child Protection Decree and fingerprinted?
All clergy, employees and volunteers. Volunteer are described as “an adult who is not a cleric or employee (for example, a catechist, scout leader, coach, server coordinator, parent interns, student teachers and others in similar capacities etc.) who function in any capacity to assist in activities with children. This includes all adults accompanying children on any overnight activity.” (Decree on Child Protection 2018, pg 4)
When do I need to provide a permission and release form?
- Any time you take youth off of the parish or school property.
- Youth who are involved in regular on-going programs at the parish site (such as Religious Education) should have a release form on file for the year.
Where can I get a copy of a Permission and Release Form?
- You can obtain a copy of a Permission and Release Form on our Permission and Release Forms page.
How long to I have to keep my copy of the Permission and Release Form?
- If no incident occurs, you must keep all release forms for two years after the end of the academic year in which the event was held.
- If an incident occurs, the form is kept on file permanently.
What requirements does the Archdiocese have regarding chaperones and drivers?
- No youth may be utilized as drivers or chaperones.
- All drivers must provide proof of a valid license and insurance.
- The Archdiocesan Policy states that chaperones and drivers must be at least 21 years old to be allowed to drive or chaperone for a Jr. High or High School event.
- For more information, see our Transportation page.