100 E. Eighth St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202-2193
Phone: (513) 421-3131 ext. 2741
Fax: (513) 421-1582
Youth/Campus Minister – Catechist Certification
In an attempt to better streamline certification opportunities offered by the Archdiocese, the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship will now be partnering directly with the Vocare platform and the Office for Evangelization and Discipleship to provide accessible and ongoing formation opportunities for Youth/Campus Ministers. Effective on July 1, 2018, the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship will no longer offer Youth Ministry Certification.
The National Directory for Catechesis (54.B.6-7) specifies the catechetical roles that both Youth and Campus Ministers play at their respective locales. Due to this catechetical function, and due to the value of ongoing formation, we would like to encourage all Youth Ministers and Campus Ministers in the Archdiocese to engage in the Vocare formation platform. The Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship is actively working to develop a catechetical certification track specifically designed for Youth and Campus Ministers via the online content available on Vocare. We believe this transition will simplify certification processes, ensure high-quality formation, and bring tremendous ease transferring credentials in circumstances where one’s role changes (e.g. a youth minister takes on a different parish catechetical role, a campus minister steps into a full-time teaching role). Vocare will also aid in providing accessible formation materials for youth/campus ministry volunteers who are interested in seeking catechist certification.
EMMAUS FORMATION PROGRAM
Additionally, the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship is happy to announce that its new Emmaus formation program will satisfy the Vocare requirements for “active” catechist certification status during the two years in which a Youth or Campus Minister participates in the Emmaus program. Emmaus is an intensive, discipleship-based formation program that utilizes a cohort model in walking with, forming, and growing small communities of Youth/Campus Ministers for two years.
PURSUING ACTIVE CATECHIST CERTIFICATION
To summarize, the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship is inviting and encouraging all Youth and Campus Ministers to seek “active” catechist certification status through Vocare as of July 1, 2018. Certification is based on 10 annual credits in Vocare during each fiscal year running from July 1-June 30. For Youth and Campus Ministers, this “active” status can be achieved in the following ways:
- If a Youth/Campus Minister is currently certified with the Office of Youth Evangelization and Discipleship via the previous certification process, he or she can simply begin certification through Vocare when the current certificate expires. He or she would begin with the Inspire Badge and upon completion of this badge, will continue by pursuing courses of interest to him/her. This document provides a visual explanation of the transition from the previous certification to Vocare.
- Youth/Campus Ministers who have not pursued Youth Ministry Certification in the past are encouraged to begin pursuing certification within the Vocare platform on July 1. This can be accomplished in one of the following ways:
- Emmaus – Participation in an Emmaus: Pilgrim Fellowship Formation small group satisfies Vocare’s 10 credits per year of participation. (Upon completing the two-year formation in Emmaus, the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship will recommend your ongoing course-pathing in Vocare.)
- Vocare – Participation in the online formation offered on the Vocare platform (including the missionary discipleship small group component once a person has attained the “Inspire” badge).
- Those Youth/Campus Ministers who have a university degree in Theology, Religious Studies, or a related field will begin Vocare with the Inspire Badge (which includes a Missionary Discipleship requirement) and upon completion, will continue by pursuing courses that interest them.
- Those without a degree in Theology/Religious Studies, will begin with the Call Badge.
- Grad School – Any Youth/Campus Minister currently engaging in graduate studies in theology (or a related field) will qualify for “active” status. Those in this category will register on Vocare and follow a protocol for uploading necessary documents.
Registering on Vocare is a simple process that begins with completing THIS FORM
You can learn more about certification through Vocare by watching THIS SHORT VIDEO.